Week In Review – The Corona Chronicles Part 10

I’m not going to lie, this week felt hard. I mentioned at the end of last week’s post that I was starting to feel a bit fed up and that feeling extended into the new week. I think the Lockdown Fatigue is setting in and as more and more of the things I was looking forward to approach (and will inevitably be cancelled) it is getting to me a bit that there is little to look forward to. I know it’s all for the greater good and of course I will continue to respect the restrictions we have in place, but a change of scene wouldn’t go amiss right now! Still, at least the weather was quite good and I did what I could to make the best of things.

Monday – 3.5 miles + garden workout + Hatha yoga via Zoom
Tuesday – 4.5 miles + garden workout + home yoga
Wednesday – 5.5 miles + garden workout + home yoga
Thursday – 5 miles + garden workout + home yoga
Friday – 4 miles
Saturday – 6.5 miles
Sunday – 10.8 miles

Again, no theme to my running, just a random selection of kit. I think my daily run is the thing I look forward to the most right now, and the weather this week was so nice that getting out in the morning sunshine was fantastic.

What else did I get up to?

On Monday I spotted this on my run. It’s right beside the NHS picture I saw a few weeks back and has probably been there for a while so I’m not sure why I didn’t notice it before!

My work for the day was closely supervised by Smokey, who was intent on getting my attention!

And in the afternoon I finished up the other holder I was making for my Disney ears. I now have my full collection displayed in some way…until I buy or make more…

Further Disney-related excitement came from the arrival of a book I had ordered. I can’t wait to look at this one in a bit more detail:

And my Monday (Zoom) Hatha class was back on, which was very welcome.

Tuesday was a beautiful day and after I had finished work for the day I took my book and a cup of tea into the garden to enjoy it. At least that’s a perk of working from home! I also did this on Wednesday and Thursday as the good weather continued.

Something that really made me smile on Wednesday was Sooty. Both cats were asleep on the bed and rolled over for me to rub their tummies. Sooty somehow ended up hanging off the end of the bed and stayed that way for ages. I was convinced she was going to slide off, but somehow she didn’t. What a daftie!

Thursday got off to a good start when I came across this on my run. Such a lovely idea (I think there are some primary schools in the area creating displays as well, but this one was outside a house). It really made me smile to see the characters with their little signs beside them.

And that evening we had something slightly different for dinner. I had frozen some chilli con carne from last week’s batch and suggested to Steve that rather than serve it with rice as we normally do, we should make chilli burgers. So we bought decent burgers and brioche buns (fancy!) and made our own chips. It was delicious!

But Friday was a strange one for me. The weather was glorious so after enjoying lunch al fresco, I made sure to stop working in good time to enjoy it.

This was also the first day of restrictions easing a little here, allowing socially distanced outdoor meet-ups with one other household. My sister, probably as much in need of a change of scene as me, decided to pay us a visit when she was finished working for the day, so we were able to sit in the garden and have a proper chat. It was great to see her and do something a little different, but since conversation inevitably turned to plans we had made which are now cancelled or hanging in the balance, I actually felt a bit down when she left and just couldn’t shake the feeling all night. At least I had the YouTube stream of the Take That “concert” from home to raise a smile!

I actually felt a lot better on Saturday morning after a good sleep. It was set to be another glorious day and I began it with a run to collect street signs to spell “parkrun” (I know, late to the party since everyone else did this weeks ago!).

Afterwards we had our weekly bacon rolls (posh this week as we had leftover brioche buns from Thursday) and the parkrun quiz. We’ve been having a bit of a dip in our scores so a slight improvement to 8/15 was welcome.

I then spent the afternoon in the garden soaking up some sun and reading a book. Steve had bought a gadget which attaches to our Aeropress and makes cold brew coffee, so we tried that for the first time and it was delicious. Perfect for such a warm day.

And we continued to make the most of the weather (because let’s face it, this is Scotland and you can get sunburned one day then freeze the next!) by having our Saturday pizza outside with some refreshing white wine. Food just tastes so much better outside, right?

We don’t have a table for our garden yet, but since the summer is looking to largely be spent in Costa del Back Garden rather than somewhere more exotic, it’s at the top of our list!

Sunday was also warm and sunny. I started the day with a run as usual. 10.8 miles might seem a bit of an odd distance but it took me to dead on 40 miles for the week and I was happy to finish at that point as I was feeling pretty warm. It was gorgeous though:

And I took the opportunity to wear my new Care Bears shorts. Remember the Care Bears?

When we were done with the Sunday food shop, we set off on foot to my parents’ house (they are only about a mile and a half away) as they had invited us up to sit in their garden (2 metres apart, of course). It was so nice to have a good catchup without having to stand about in the driveway, and we were able to have some cake and a refreshing beer together. Somehow I managed to overlook taking any pictures, but it was a great afternoon and we really only left because the garden was falling into shade and it was about time to feed the kitties their dinner!

My mood definitely improved thanks to some warm, sunny weather and the knowledge that I wouldn’t have to work for a couple more days (more on that next time), so by the time I was having my Sunday bath I felt my mood had turned a corner. It would be crazy to think that we could all coast through these difficult times without it getting to us on occasion, and I think this week was my turn to feel fed up with the whole thing. I just need to keep reminding myself that this shall pass and the world will open up again. It has to!

How are you coping with lockdown/ restrictions? Have you been able to do anything different with some easing of restrictions?
What challenges/ activities are you including in your runs to create a bit of variety?

2 thoughts on “Week In Review – The Corona Chronicles Part 10

  1. I am very impressed with your crafting- those ear holders look brilliant.
    I think it’s no surprise to feel down every now and then. I had a bit of a wobble last Friday- as it was half term I was trying to have a day without doing any work, and failed at that, and then worried that I’d wasted my half term, and also just felt very panicked about going back into school again- I struggle when so many things are out of my control. Plus I feel that although I can now see my parents or Andy’s parents, I am more likely to have the virus now than any time in the previous 12 weeks as I’ve spent a week in a room with a load of children, so I don’t know if I should see them, even thought we would stay 2m apart. So things felt a bit like they had no end point. This week has been better though.

    Liked by 1 person

    • I absolutely understand those fears. I have been thinking of you going back into school and hoping it was ok. We have to start planning for our blended approach when the new term begins in August, but it seems so far away and it feels like things are still changing. I’m going to be glad when the holidays come around, even if the furthest I’m going is my garden!

      The ear holders are actually quite simple: one of those tubs you get things like Twiglets in at Christmas, bubble wrap, fabric, some kind of trim and clay (I use air dry) for the feet. Plus lots of hot glue to stick it all together. It’s quite satisfying to complete and then display the ears. I find they fit about 5 pairs.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.